This weekend my family and I went to Brookings, SD to a family reunion and whenever we go to Brookings we find ourselves at The Bookings Book Company store.
That’s where I found my new slow-cooker cookbook. I never knew one could make Apple Butter in the slow-cooker and then put it in sterilized jars for canning or freezing.
This recipe is from my new “Fix it and Forget it” cookbook.
Oh, the things you can find in a bookstore...
Ann’s Apple Butter from Ann Bender
- 7 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2-3 cups sugar, depending upon the sweetness of the applesauce and your own preference
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
1) Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2) Put a layer of paper towels under lid to prevent condensation from dripping into apple butter. Cook on High for 8-10 hours.
Remove lid during last hour. Stir occasionally.
3) Freeze in pint containers, or pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Note: You can vary this by using canned peaches, pears, or apricots in place of applesauce.
Makes 2 pints.