KB’s carries on with carry-out
In an effort to provide continued service to its customers, KB’s Bar & Grill in Ghent decided to continue offering take-out service and off-sale during the state government shutdown of on-premises consumption of all eating and drinking establishments.
KB’s Bar and Grill owners Kyle Brockberg and Mark Staufacker also initially decided to offer free delivery service as far as Marshall to the east and Minneota to the west. The co-owners were also self-appointed delivery drivers.
After only two days, however, the number of deliveries far exceeded expectations and they regrettably had to cease that service.
“We even had some other employees come in and help us with delivery, but we just couldn’t get the food to them fast enough,” said Brockberg. “We want to provide quality food in a timely manner and we just couldn’t do that anymore due to the high volume or orders we were getting.”
The take-out service, too, has increased significantly, although KB’s has been able to keep up with that.
“We usually can get the food cooked and get it to the customer by the time they come in to pick it up,” Brockberg noted. “We have five cooks working for us and so far we haven’t had any problems with filling orders yet. If this (shutdown) continues, we will probably get even busier.”
One of the more popular take-out items that customers have been getting are take-and-bake pizzas. Customers order the size and type of unbaked pizza they want and then bake them at home. Fully-baked pizzas can also be ordered.
The take-out menu is the same as KB’s regular menu. The menu can be viewed on the KB’s Bar & Grill website or Facebook page. A minimum $30 order is required for take-out. The phone number at KB’s Bar & Grill is 507-428-3217.
KB’s take-out hours are 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4:30-8 p.m. on weekdays, and until 9 p.m. on Saturdays. They are closed on Sunday.
“Normally, our special on Thursday is ribs, and we offer them in our take-out menu,” Brockberg said. “But on Friday, we didn’t offer our all-you-can-eat fish fry for take-out.”Because of the state shutdown of all bars and restaurants, per an executive order from Governor Tim Walz, some small communities don’t have the opportunities to get take-out or delivery service if they choose not to cook at home.
The Porter Cafe’s schedule for this week says they are open for takeout from 8-11:30 a.m. on Thursdays and Fridays, including delivery of senior meals to Canby. Senior meals in Porter can be picked up during that time. Call 507-296-4636 when you arrive and you can either come in and pick up your meals, or they will bring them out to you.
City Hall Bar & Grill in Minneota and Duke’s Corner Café in Taunton have each closed until further notice and are not offering take-out at this time.
“We are going to wait and see what the governor decides after next week,” said Jordan Dresson, manager of City Hall Bar & Grill. “If the shutdown continues after that, we will regroup and rethink what we will do moving forward.”
The shutdown has affected around 20 employees at City Hall Bar & Grill.