Lenten season means more fish on Fridays. This recipe is for those who love to find a new way to enjoy the Lenten season or any time of the year.
Spicy Pasta with Tilapia
- 1/2 pound tilapia fillets, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 -ounce can tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for topping
- Kosher salt
- 1 10 ounce spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1) Toss the tilapia with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
2) Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic starts to soften, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 12 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. 4) When the pasta is almost done, add the tilapia to the skillet with the tomato sauce and simmer, stirring gently, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and the remaining 1/4 cup basil; season with salt. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Divide among bowls and top with more basil.
Yield: 4 servings