Ask the Chief

Kids & golf carts

Every year, when the weather gets nice, people get their golf carts, ATVs, and UTVs out of the shed. People love to cruise slowly around town saying hi to one another while enjoying the weather.
The fact that Minneota permits these vehicles on the road is something special because most communities do not.
That being said, it is important to follow the rules so that people are not hurt and we don’t lose this great privilege. You MUST have a valid driver's license to operate these vehicles on the road. It doesn’t matter if you are sitting in your parent's lap or if they are right next to you in the passenger seat. No valid driver's license (permits don’t count) means you can’t drive on the road. These vehicles can NOT be driven on Hwy. 68.
You can cross Hwy. 68 but you can’t drive along with it.
These vehicles can NOT be driven after sunset, even if they have headlights or tail lights. These vehicles must follow all of the rules of the road just like a regular car. If you have one of these vehicles and want to use it in town you need to get a permit from the city, have a rear-view mirror, a slow-moving triangle, a muffler for gas-powered units, and vehicle insurance. If you have questions, please call City Hall at 507-872-6144.

Contact Us

The Minneota Mascot
Address: 201 N. Jefferson
Minneota, MN 56264

Phone:(507) 872-6492