Winter has settled in so it’s a great time to find a new soup or stew to help keep you warm on these cold winter nights. Here is a stew with a little curry and cayenne pepper that will definitely keep you warm. Happy Cooking!
Indian Chicken Stew
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne pepper
- 2 15-oz garbanzo beans or northern white beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 9-oz package fresh spinach (optional) Hot cooked rice (optional)
1) Lightly coat a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Add chicken, onion, garlic, curry, ginger, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Toss to coat. Stir in drained beans, undrained tomatoes, broth and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
2) Stir lime juice into cooked stew. Stir spinach leaves into stew and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to wilt. Serve with rice.
Yield: 8 servings