Wondering what to make with your leftover ham? Try this delicious way to use up your leftover ham that is low on calories and heart friendly too. Happy New Year!
BBQ White Beans with Peppers
- 1 medium green sweet pepper
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans) and/or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce crushed red pepper (optional) fresh oregano leaves (optional)
1) Slice 2 rings from sweet pepper; wrap and refrigerate. Chop remaining pepper; set aside. In skillet cook ham in hot oil over medium-high heat until browned; remove from skillet. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
2) In a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish combine beans, ham, onion and garlic mixture, chopped sweet pepper, mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, and, if desired, crushed red pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours).
3) Stir 2 tablespoons water into bean mixture. Reheat over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through, adding the pepper rings for the last 2 minutes of cooking. If desired, sprinkle with fresh oregano. Yield: 6 to 8 servings