Yams are not sweet potatoes and don’t have the same taste. Yams are more like yucca root and the skin has a tree bark texture.
But, in the south they call sweet potatoes yams and candied yams are a huge part of southern cuisine. This recipe from iheartrecipes.com is my family’s favorite!
Baked Candied Yams-Soul Food Style
- 5 medium sized yams, 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract not imitation
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) Wash, peel, slice and place yams into a 9x13 bake dish.
3) Place the butter into a medium sized pot, then melt it over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add white and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger. Turn the stove off, mix the ingredients, then add the vanilla extract.
4) Pour the candied mixture over the yams, making sure all is coated.
5) Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6) Remove from oven, and baste yams with the candied mixture.
7) Cover and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and let them sit for 10 minutes before serving.