Well, Halloween has passed and now for the big “Turkey Day”. I was browsing around the internet for a good cola recipe when I stumbled on this very easy recipe from allrecipes.com. The reviewers say the cola makes the turkey so moist and golden brown. I am going to try this one on “Turkey Day”.
Cola Roast Turkey
- 1 16 pound whole turkey - thawed, neck and giblets removed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 to 2 cans cola or rootbeer-flavored carbonated beverage
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Copped celery (optional)
- Sliced onion (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2) Wash the turkey well, and pat dry with paper towels. Slather the whole turkey, front to back, with butter. Place the turkey into a roasting pan (you can use a cooking bag for easy clean up), add celery and onion and pour the beverage over the turkey. Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.
3) Roast for up to 4 1/2 hours, checking for doneness after 3 1/2 hours. If you aren’t using a oven bag, baste the turkey every 30 minutes with the turkey drippings. If the breast skin browns too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180° F (82° C).
4) Remove the turkey from the oven, and allow to rest in a warm area 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.