After the kids have had their fun trick or treating, snuggle up to the table with this stew. It will warm up their tummies and fill them up before devouring their goodies. (Also can be made in crockpots).
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed peeled pumpkin or sweet potatoes
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a pan on the stove, brown meat in oil and butter. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Transfer meat to soup pot and stir in the carrots, celery, beef broth, bay leaves, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
2. Stir in pumpkin or sweet potato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat and pumpkin or sweet potato are tender. Discard bay leaves.