About The Mascot

The first issue of the Minneota Mascot came off the press on Sept. 4, 1891 and has been serving readers and advertisers ever since on a weekly basis. The Mascot's founder was J.F. Paige, a native of Pine Island who formerly published the Montevideo Leader.

Byrne was the publisher of the Mascot until 1895 when he sold it to 22-year-old Stephen T. Westdal and 23-year-old Gunnar B. Bjornson. Westdal served as publisher/editor until the spring of 1900 when Bjornson bought him out and took over as publisher/editor.

The paper remained in the Bjornson family (they also owned four other newspapers in the state), which included sons Hjalmar, Valdimar ("Val"), Jon and Bjorn serving as editors at one time or another, until it was sold to Ragnar Guttormsson in 1943.

Ragnar ran the paper until eventually turning it over to his son, Jon Guttormsson. Jeff and Julie Meyer purchased the paper from Jon in July of 2009 and have been the publishers of the paper ever since. The Mascot continues to produce a weekly award-winning newspaper that serves Minneota and its surrounding communities.

The Mascot prints out of town on Wednesdays each week and goes on sale Thursdays. Readers can also purchase an e-version of the paper. Advertising and/or notices deadlines are noon each Monday.

The Mascot office hours are Mondays and Tuesdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Wednesdays 9 a.m.-Noon. For questions, please call the office at 507-872-6492 or email scott@thomabooks.com.

Contact Us

The Minneota Mascot
Address: 201 N. Jefferson
Minneota, MN 56264

Phone:(507) 872-6492